How to Curl and Shape Quill Feathers
This is the easiest way that you will ever try for effective split free shaping of ostrich quills
This will make your hat trimming a much easier millinery affair.
You will need a quill feather, a sink and an electric curling tongs.
1. Fill a sink with hot water and soak your quill feather for 10-15mins. DO NOT mix colours as your quill feathers may lose some extraneous dye. Plug in your curling tongs a set to med-high heat.
2. Remove your quill feather from the water bath and pat dry. It should feel softer and more maleable.
3. Taking your curling tongs, trap the very end of the quill feather in the tongs and gently start to roll up.
4. Continue rolling gently until you have reached the end or as far as you wish. Hold for a few seconds. You will feel your quill feather drying and stiffening.....don't go made and burn it....just long enough to set the shape.
5. Romove from tongs and allow to dry. You will have a fantastic curl. You can further manipulate this over steam. Use a conical tongs to vary the diameter of the curl along the length of the feather. Or simply 'pull' off a straight tongs for variation
Quite spectacular AND no splits or breaks! How easy is that?
About the Authors
Your name *